To the west, in front of the port is the island of Sfaktiria. Sfaktiria and Pylos name is written in clay tablets of the Palace of Nestor. The word according to one interpretation comes from the verb slaughter (sacrifice) presumably because many animals are sacrificed to the god Poseidon, who was considered father Neleus.
South of Sfaktiria is located the small island of Pylos also known as Tsichli-Baba or Fanari. There, in 1890 the French Republic built a monument for the French who were killed in the Battle of Navarino. Between Tsichli-Baba and Sfaktiria are the Koutsoynes, the two rocks sharp reminiscent which are reminding [Memorial] the moment when Aris, in April 26, 1825 during the siege of Niokastro by Ibrahim, on the ship of Admiral Tsamadou, managed to escape in the night through this passage, after causing huge damage to the Turk-Egyptian fleet.
On the south side of Sfakteria, in 1959 was built a monument for the Greek who were killed in the battle of Sfaktiria which has over it the names of Tsamadou, Sahinis and Anagnostara. [Memorial] Further in the north is the tomb of Paul Bonaparte, Napoleon’s nephew, who was killed in 1827 by the detonation of a weapon, on the warship Hellas. His corps was buried, eventually, in Sfaktiria in 1832 after having remained for five years in a barrel of rum. North, up the coast, is the monument of count Santarosa, a philellenist, who was killed in the battle of Sfaktiria on In April 26, 1825. The monument was built in 1926 by the Italian state. Further on the north is the monument of the Russians killed in the Battle of Navarino, which was constructed in 1872 by queen Olga and was completed in 1960. Next to it is the Russian style chapel of Ag.Nikolaos, a donation of the emigrants from the town Petrozavontse. In its northern part, Sfaktiria has the pass of Sykia, a sea lane with a maximum width of 150m which is no longer the entrance to the harbor, when the Turks sank destroyed ships that were left there from the naval battle of Nafpakto in 1571.
Inside the port there is the small Island of Chelonaki. On this island is the monument of the British killed in the battle of Navarino, which was built by the Greek state.